Is Melly Mills Real? Learn the story behind the story!

Friday, June 20, 2008

She Will Be Mist

I dreamed about Ma last night. For a while, it was like she was alive again. She clucked and cluttered around me like a mother hen--a really small mother hen, if you can imagine, with a really large chick. "Look how big you've gotten, my little Melly! Are you taking care of yourself? Are you minding what Mr. and Mrs. Appleton say? Are you not giving little Jay too much trouble?"

"Yes, Ma," I told her.

"You're going to need new clothes for school. Oh, how I wish I had a needle and few bolts of denim to make into jeans! Your father wouldn't let me make you pants, as if somebody might confuse you for a boy. As if anybody would even see you!"

"Ma?" I spoke softly, worried about what I had to ask her and how she might reply.

"Yes, Melly?"

"I'm moving out of the barn. Off the farm, too. The Appletons are building me some kind of shed."

"Yes, I know," she said.

"So...does that mean I won't be able to see you anymore?"

Ma laughed, just like she used to when she got to a funny part in a book she was reading. "I'm not a ghost, Melly. That is to say, I'm not confined to the barn like some kind of haunting spirit. I'm with you, in your heart and in your head, wherever you go."

I wiped tears of relief from my eyes. "Thanks, Ma. I miss you sooooooo much!"

"And I miss you."

It was a perfect moment until I tried to scoop Ma into my arms to give her a gigantic hug. As soon as I touched her, Ma turned to mist and floated away in all directions. I guess she really was a ghost after all!!!

6 comments:

  1. She has right. As long as you rember on her, she will never going away.




    Damn this remember's me at my grandpa.
    I was seven as he died.

    He had often told me storys about his youth.
    As he was in WW2 and after it in the French Foreign Legion
    God i miss him really.
    He was the best.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm sorry to hear about your grandfather. It's hard to lose people like that.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Melly, I just started reading your blog and I'm very impressed! Speaking from experience, being a teenage girl isn't the greatest thing in the world, but everyone (well, over half the population) has to get it over with. But then you have the added burden of standing out from everyone else simply because you're a little bigger! Anyways, good luck with your new living spaces, it might not be too bad after you stay in it for a while.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks, Tai. I have to say the shed looks nice, and I might get used to it after a while, but it can never really replace my barn.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Interesting life you have. Hello, my name is Willy, and I've been following your blog since yesterday. Seems like you've got alot to deal with. Don't worry though. With perserverance, hard work, and a level head (figuratively speaking), you can do anything. I know it sounds cliche, but it's true.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks, Willy. I'll try to keep my head as level as I can.

    ReplyDelete


First Post Prior Post Next Post Home Page
Challenge

Illustrator Challenge

Artists can create illustrations of me or the events in my life, as long as they are appropriate for my young readers. Any previous post on this blog can be illustrated. If I like an image that goes well with a post on the blog, I may add a small thumbnail version along with credit to the artist and a link to the full-sized image. Images of me posted elsewhere should link back to the "Giant Girl Rampages" blog.

If you want to draw a picture of me, here's what you need to know:

I'm 15 years old and almost (but not quite) 18 feet tall. Mrs. Appleton says I'm very pretty and well proportioned, which I guess is a complement. I'm not super thin or anything but I think I'm in pretty good shape.

I have dirty blonde hair that's kind of wild because I trim it with Pa's old hedge trimmers. My eyes are green as the ocean, as Ma always said, but I wouldn't know because I've never seen an ocean. My skin is tanned from being out in the sun a lot but not too dark and (usually) not burned.

I wear a blouse and skirt-shorts that my mother quilted for me three years ago. They look like a big patchwork cuz she used many squares of fabric and cowhide. I've grown since then, so the skirt-shorts no longer come down to my knees, my blouse is way tight, and there's a bit of skin showing in between. I don't have any shoes (and that makes me sad to think about so I usually don't).

If you do draw my picture, send the link in a comment so I can post it to my blog. Thanks!!!

Fan-Fiction Challenge

You can write fan-fiction about me if you want. Just let everyone know your story is made up and not real, unlike this blog which is absolutely 100% true.

Be sure to link back to my blog and I'll link to the stories I like best!!!